Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fresh Salsa

I love going to the Farmer's Market. I started going at the end of last summer, and tried out 3 different ones this summer. I'm a bit overwhelmed when I go look at all of the beautiful produce. It all looks so good, but I know that my family is a little leery of new things and I don't know what to do with half of the produce there, or what some of them actually are.

Tuesday we went to market #3. It is getting toward the end of the season, but we found a few lucky items that came home with us. My favorite was the fresh salsa kit. One booth had samples of fresh salsa, and it was delicious. My only concern was that it makes 8-10 cups and must be consumed within a week. I thought I would risk it.

I remembered to take a few pictures this time around, but only after I had already started.

The Fresh Salsa Kit:
(also included was a large onion, mine was in the fridge to aid in chopping without tears/allergies)

The chopped veggies after draining - looks yummy already:


The salsa was so fresh and crunchy. I didn't make mine very spicy, I was scared to put in the jalapeno seeds, or at least very many. Maybe another time I would try a few, but it would depend on the end purpose for the salsa. This time, due to the lack of spicy, I tried bruschetta and bruschetta chicken. I've never made either, but I was willing to try.


Oiled, loaded and ready for the oven!
The chicken:
My husband hadn't devoured his as quickly as I did, so he had to stop eating for the picture. I would make other sides the next time around, but my kids are happy with mashed potatoes and corn, so we go with the regulars most of the time.
I still have some salsa left. I will be having a snack here shortly. I'm still deciding if I'm going to fire up the oven and slice the bread, or if the tortilla chips will win out tonight. Either way it will be happy late night snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment